Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Monday, January 11, 2016

Essendon players banned for 2016



Current and former Essendon players have been found guilty of doping offences and will miss all of the 2016 season, in a development that will rock the AFL to its core. 
The news comes after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upheld the World Anti-Doping Agency's (WADA) appeal, in a shock reversal of the original not guilty decision handed down by the AFL anti-doping tribunal last year. 
The players had already served a provisional four and a half month suspension in the 2015 pre-season competition. 
The decision will also impact on clubs who've signed Essendon players that were part of the original investigation.   
"Regrettably we can confirm the Court of Arbitration for Sport has found 34 past and present players guilty of committing an anti-doping rule violation," Bombers chairman Lindsay Tanner said. 

"As a result, the players - including 12 currently listed with Essendon - have been suspended for the 2016 season. The Club is currently digesting the decision and we will provide a further update later today."
There is no right of appeal for the CAS verdict. As a result of playing for Australia in the International Rules series loss to Ireland, Jobe Watson and Dustin Fletcher have been banned for eight days longer than other players. 
The CAS decision also raises question marks over the legitimacy of Watson's Brownlow Medal, which he won in 2012 - the Bombers' tainted season, with some suggesting he will be stripped of the award.
CAS released the following statement on Tuesday morning: "The Court of Arbitration for Sport has today issued its decision in the arbitration procedure between the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and 34 current and former players of Essendon.

"The appeal filed by WADA against the Australian Football League (AFL) Anti-Doping Tribunal's decision of 31 March 2015 is upheld and the appealed decision is set aside. The 34 players concerned are sanctioned with a period of ineligibility of two years, commencing on 31 March 2015, with credit given for any individual period of ineligibility already served. Thus, most of the suspensions will come to an end in November 2016.

"The arbitration procedure was conducted by a panel of CAS arbitrators: the Hon. Michael J. Beloff QC, barrister in London, United Kingdom (President), Mr. Romano Subiotto QC, SolicitorAdvocate in Brussels, Belgium, and the Hon. James Spigelman AC QC, barrister in Sydney, Australia and London, United Kingdom. 

"The Panel held a hearing with the parties in Sydney, Australia from 16 to 20 November 2015. In its Arbitral Award, the Panel found to its comfortable satisfaction that Clause 11.2 of the 2010 AFL Doping Code (use of a prohibited substance) has been violated and found by a majority that all players were significantly at fault."
The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) originally accepted the findings of the AFL tribunal before WADA took the case to CAS. WADA felt the AFL ruling was far too lenient. 
"This unfortunate episode has chronicled the most devastating self-inflicted injury by a sporting club in Australian history," ASADA CEO Ben McDevitt said of Tuesday's developments. 
"There were very little grounds for the players to claim they were at no significant fault.
"The players had received anti-doping education through the AFL and ASADA, and were well aware that they are personally responsible for all substances that entered their body.
"Unfortunately, despite their education, they agreed to be injected with a number of substances they had little knowledge of, made no enquiries about the substance and kept the injections from their team doctor and ASADA.
"Of 30 ASADA testing missions during the period in question, none of the 18 players tested declared the injections, despite being asked each time whether they had taken any supplements.
"At best, the players did not ask the questions, or the people, they should have. At worst, they were complicit in a culture of secrecy and concealment.
"The CAS result brings this matter to a close and ASADA looks forward to continuing to work with all sporting codes to promote a clean and fair sporting environment."
THE 34 BANNED PLAYERS
Still at Essendon: Jobe Watson, Dyson Heppell, Michael Hurley, Brent Stanton, Tom Bellchambers, Tayte Pears, David Myers, Travis Colyer, Michael Hibberd, Cale Hooker, Heath Hocking, Ben Howlett.

Western Bulldogs:  Stewart Crameri

Melbourne:  Jake Melksham

Port Adelaide:  Paddy Ryder, Angus Monfries

St Kilda: Jake Carlisle

No longer in AFL:  Corey Dell’Olio, Alwyn Davey, Ariel Steinberg, Alex Browne, Luke Davis, Dustin Fletcher, Leroy Jetta, Mark McVeigh, Brent Prismall, Nathan Lovett-Murray, Ricky Dyson
Sam Lonergan, Kyle Hardingham, Scott Gumbleton, Brendan Lee, Henry Slattery, David Hille.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Sam Burgess - Pop Up Player

Sam Burgess wants a long-term stay at the South Sydney Rabbitohs after arriving back in Australia on Wednesday.
Burgess, 26, arrived back in Sydney on Wednesday, less than a week after his Rabbitohs return was confirmed. 
After less than a year in union, including playing for England and Bath, Burgess said he wanted a long stay in league. 
"I am here for the long-term now," he said. 
"I love South Sydney – [returning] was never in question. I didn't look closely anywhere [else]. 
"I spoke to Chris [Caisley], my manager, and the first thing I said to him was, 'Straight to Souths, don't bother looking anywhere else.' 
"I'd find it very hard to put a different shirt on because I love this club. The experiences I've had here over the five years there were unbelievable."

Burgess also responded to Bath coach Mike Ford, who criticised him for failing to see out his contract. 
The 2014 Clive Churchill Medallist said he was content with his decision. 
"Mike might just be a little upset and that's fine," Burgess said.

"Fordy's entitled to what he wants to say but I guess it's just more of a reflection on himself than me. 
"Some of the skills you need in that game I've never done in my entire life. 
"It would've taken a good 18 months for me to nail them down and play at the top level, by that time I'm 28-29."

Sam Burgess - 16:9 Player

Sam Burgess wants a long-term stay at the South Sydney Rabbitohs after arriving back in Australia on Wednesday.
Burgess, 26, arrived back in Sydney on Wednesday, less than a week after his Rabbitohs return was confirmed. 
After less than a year in union, including playing for England and Bath, Burgess said he wanted a long stay in league. 
"I am here for the long-term now," he said. 
"I love South Sydney – [returning] was never in question. I didn't look closely anywhere [else]. 
"I spoke to Chris [Caisley], my manager, and the first thing I said to him was, 'Straight to Souths, don't bother looking anywhere else.' 
"I'd find it very hard to put a different shirt on because I love this club. The experiences I've had here over the five years there were unbelievable."

Burgess also responded to Bath coach Mike Ford, who criticised him for failing to see out his contract. 
The 2014 Clive Churchill Medallist said he was content with his decision. 
"Mike might just be a little upset and that's fine," Burgess said.

"Fordy's entitled to what he wants to say but I guess it's just more of a reflection on himself than me. 
"Some of the skills you need in that game I've never done in my entire life. 
"It would've taken a good 18 months for me to nail them down and play at the top level, by that time I'm 28-29."

Sam Burgess - Chromeless player

Sam Burgess wants a long-term stay at the South Sydney Rabbitohs after arriving back in Australia on Wednesday.
Burgess, 26, arrived back in Sydney on Wednesday, less than a week after his Rabbitohs return was confirmed. 
After less than a year in union, including playing for England and Bath, Burgess said he wanted a long stay in league. 
"I am here for the long-term now," he said. 
"I love South Sydney – [returning] was never in question. I didn't look closely anywhere [else]. 
"I spoke to Chris [Caisley], my manager, and the first thing I said to him was, 'Straight to Souths, don't bother looking anywhere else.' 
"I'd find it very hard to put a different shirt on because I love this club. The experiences I've had here over the five years there were unbelievable."

Burgess also responded to Bath coach Mike Ford, who criticised him for failing to see out his contract. 
The 2014 Clive Churchill Medallist said he was content with his decision. 
"Mike might just be a little upset and that's fine," Burgess said.

"Fordy's entitled to what he wants to say but I guess it's just more of a reflection on himself than me. 
"Some of the skills you need in that game I've never done in my entire life. 
"It would've taken a good 18 months for me to nail them down and play at the top level, by that time I'm 28-29."

Sam Burgess - Standard Player




Sam Burgess wants a long-term stay at the South Sydney Rabbitohs after arriving back in Australia on Wednesday.
Burgess, 26, arrived back in Sydney on Wednesday, less than a week after his Rabbitohs return was confirmed. 
After less than a year in union, including playing for England and Bath, Burgess said he wanted a long stay in league. 
"I am here for the long-term now," he said. 
"I love South Sydney – [returning] was never in question. I didn't look closely anywhere [else]. 
"I spoke to Chris [Caisley], my manager, and the first thing I said to him was, 'Straight to Souths, don't bother looking anywhere else.' 
"I'd find it very hard to put a different shirt on because I love this club. The experiences I've had here over the five years there were unbelievable."

Burgess also responded to Bath coach Mike Ford, who criticised him for failing to see out his contract. 
The 2014 Clive Churchill Medallist said he was content with his decision. 
"Mike might just be a little upset and that's fine," Burgess said.

"Fordy's entitled to what he wants to say but I guess it's just more of a reflection on himself than me. 
"Some of the skills you need in that game I've never done in my entire life. 
"It would've taken a good 18 months for me to nail them down and play at the top level, by that time I'm 28-29."

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Video: Hayne makes brilliant 37-yard return


Finally! After a horrible first half against the Arizona Cardinals that saw them go down 28-0, Jarryd Hayne was brought into the game and made a great 37-yard punt return for the 49ers
With the Cardinals offence having a field-day and Kaepernick misfiring with two pick-sixes in the first quarter, Hayne was limited to a fair catch and one snap in a frustrating first half. 
His chance came in the last three minutes of the second quarter with this great kick-return. 
And didn't he look pumped.
https://twitter.com/SportalAU/status/648245206555295744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw